04 September 2009

It's Just Hard...

to see these parents be verbally abusive to each other in front of their cognitive, young kids. They will never know the damage they're doing to them and their own relationships in the future. I hope I never speak to my wife like this guy's speaking to his wife...

I think in that lays my fears about being a parent and bringing children into this world. I fear the things that I will pass on and instill in my children - my bad habits, my fears, my insecurities. Do I want to spawn carbon copies of myself? Do I want to incorporate my genetic malfunctions into another generation?

What will having children bring out in me that I don't know is inside of me...the father inside.

2 comments:

Bethany Chu said...

a future father, who is having self investigating thoughts like this, is a good future father. We both have loving earthly fathers and a very merciful heavenly Father...so I'd say you're on the right path :) You're going to be a wonderful father!

Tess said...

All parents are imperfect, and we all do things to both benefit and harm our children. They usually survive this, and so do we. We can learn a lot about ourselves through parenting, and we can grow in ways that we wouldn't otherwise be able to.

You and Bethany are going to be wonderful parents to some very blessed people.